Wednesday 21 January 2015

Ottobre...I love you

Over a year ago I was introduced to the magazine Ottobre Design.  I love this magazine because I like the fit of the outfits once they are complete.

I now subscribe to this magazine, but lately I have been 'exploring' back issues.  I purchased Ottobre Design spring/summer 2/2007 as I liked design 10 Wraparound dress.  However, there are three things I didn't like about what was in the magazine (sorry Ottobre):  the fabric choice, the tie around the waistline and the sleeves:


I must apologise for the poor photo, I had to use my mobile phone and not my camera (I've misplaced the cord to the camera).

So I decided that there could be three possible changes that could be made to give this dress three possible looks.  For today I will show you two different changes I have made.

In my first dress made from a retro inspired print, I have shortened the sleeve (approximately 10 cms from the underarm and squared off) and kept the tie in the same fabric as the rest of the dress, yes it has the collar (but you can barely see it in the picture):


For the second dress (again in green) I did not put a collar on it and again used the shortened sleeve and ties in the same colour as the rest of the dress.  I used a beautiful Japanese cotton voile that I purchased on one of my fabric adventures:



I am happy with the results.  The third style I will make (when we near winter) is a long sleeve version, however the sleeves will be a straight sleeve version.

I've decided to make a half slip to go under these dresses (as wrap around dresses always seem to swing around open in the wind).  I will share that with you next time.

Happy sewing everyone.

Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment